PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 - The Defining Moment

Wilson
Saturday, 10 September 2011, 04:51
It's that time of year again where I choose to break from normal procedure here at MilitaryGamers.com and push an agenda. It's a topic I personally feel should never be forgotten, no matter how much time passes. This year is the tenth anniversary of 9/11, the truly defining moment in America's history in the last decade.

This is a repeat of the article I wrote that I post every year around this time regarding this subject. Many of you have most likely read it before, but I will continue to post it, year after year, even long after the wars are over and most Americans have long forgotten what has passed. Some, like myself, will simply never forget.

Every year around this time I like to take a few moments remind everyone to never forget all those who lost or gave their lives on or because of this fateful day.

September 11th, 2001 is, in my mind, unquestionably the most defining day of the past decade, and quite possibly the next as well.

Tens of thousands of lives have been impacted by this black day in our country's history. Not only those of the victims who lost their lives in that unconscionable terrorist attack on U.S. soil, but for so many others as well. The families and friends of those who lost loved ones on those planes, or when the towers collapsed surely had their lives changed in an instant and will never be the same again.

Let us also remember the firefighters, police officers, and other public servants who bravely gave their lives attempting to save the lives of others without concern for themselves. Their families and loved ones will never see them again, share their company, and their communities will miss them dearly.

Finally, let us never forget the US military service members who violently gave all in the name of freedom in foreign lands in the wars stemming from these attacks. May their souls find peace and their families find comfort in the knowledge that their sons and daughters did not give their lives in vain, but for the greater good of humanity.

We live in trying times, in a fickle society. Our country's flags no longer fly from every car and home, and the memorial vanity decals are no longer plastered to every rear window. Let us never forget this day and its impact on all our lives even while others may.